Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chocolate Cuts

I try not to bake cookies too often - I end up eating them all myself, pretty much immediately. I am a cookie monster, I confess. I have tried keeping them in the freezer, only to find that frozen shortcrust cookies are a real delicacy. Nowadays, we only buy what we are going to eat on that day; I simply can´t store sweets at all. The husband, who likes a cold chocolate digestive with his tea, has managed to hide them in the fridge from me, but since I hate cold chocolate (a waste of taste!) they are relatively safe from me (unless it is an emergency).

These chocolate cookies, Chokladsnitt (= chocolate cuts), are a Swedish classic, very popular. You find them in most cafés and traditional patisseries, but they are so much better when you make your own from real butter and good cocoa, which I personally prefer to over-dose heavily. The recipe I use:
200 g butter, softened in room temperature
200 ml sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon baking powder
500 ml wheat flour
slightly beaten egg white & crushed loaf sugar (we call it pearl sugar)
Mix the butter and sugar - I use the food processor - add cocoa, vanilla, yolk and water. Mix the baking powder with the flour before adding that to the mix. Make four long buns on a piece of oven paper, paint them with eggwhite and sprinkle pearly sugar over them. Bake for 12 minutes in 200 degrees Celsius (392 F) and cut them immediately while hot. Then leave them to cool on the baking plate.

You don´t really need to worry about how to store them. Just put them on a plate and share. Or eat them straight from the baking plate, which is probably what I did since I have not photographic evidence that says I didn´t...


No comments:

Post a Comment