Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pancake in the oven

What is easier to make than oven pancake? And indeed, what tastes better? My dictionary translates oven pancake to batter pudding, and Yorkshire pudding is the one thing I have had that is not far from it, except it´s made in a pre-heated pan with beef-drippings and it gets another kind of texture, crispier. I understand the English also makes one with sausages that they call toad-in-the hole, which sounds fun, but I haven´t tried it. I make this often when the husband is away (he is not too keen, but will eat it if I serve it) as it is easy and takes care of left-overs in such a grand manner.

My recipe, for one person: 1 egg, 50 ml of dry milk, a pinch of salt, 125  ml of wheat flour, 250 ml water. Whisk it with half the water first, this prevents lumpiness. You can use regular milk as well, but in a small household like ours that requires some planning, or we run out of tea-milk really quickly (the horror!).

I line an ovenproof dish with oven paper, put some ham, or sausage, or fried veg or maybe mushrooms in there and pour the batter on top. Then I put it in the oven, at 225 degrees (437 F) for 25 minutes. It comes out golden brown and I let it sit for ten minutes before I cut it in half with a pair of scissors. Serve with lingonberry or rowanberry jam. Cranberry would work, as long as it is a bit on the tart side. If you like, a dollop of butter can´t hurt, since I didn´t put any in while making it.

I will absolutely eat the whole thing, though it may look much. Perhaps because I only make this when I am very, very hungry.


No comments:

Post a Comment